The Caribbean Sea has without a doubt the most beautiful beaches in the world.
People from around the globe come every year to visit its amazing turquoise and crystal clear waters. Cancun happens to be one of the most visited vacation destinies every single year due to its amazing location; moreover having great Mayan history, and delicious cuisine traditions.
It’s the perfect place to know what México is all about, and we are delighted to call it home. However, such beauty should have something else beneath it, here are some facts that will make you dive into these blue waters even more….
Caribbean Sea Facts:
- The Caribbean Sea is home of 9% of the world’s reefs which cover about 50,000 square kilometers.
- There are 90 species of mammals in this sea, including dolphins, humpback whales, sperm whales, bull sharks, tiger sharks and flying fish among others.
- The geological age of the Caribbean Sea happens to be between 160 and 180 millions years; formed by the split of Pangea in the Mesozoic Era.
- Have you heard of underwater caves? Cancun is home to three of the largest underwater cave systems in the world.
- The Great Mayan Barrier Reef, is the second world’s largest after the Autralia’s Great Barrier Reef.
- The region has several types of sea turtle: loggerhead, green turtle, hawksbill, leatherback turtle, Atlantic ridley and olive ridley.
- There are 170 different species of amphibians.
… Here at MUSA, we are more than pleased to show you.